The Nursing Strike is Over
Porter certainly has a mind of his own and went on nursing strike Sunday and Monday. Of course I was freaked out because I don't want to pump exclusively for the next few months and I would be sad if he was weaned to a bottle so soon. At first I thought it was me for being a bad mom and giving Porter so many bottles this weekend and last. With Amber's graduation party at a bar in Lincoln, and all of my family was going to be at the party, Marcia offered to watch Porter for his first overnight. It actually went really well. He didn't fuss much and slept 8 hours straight! I was upset to leave him at first but once I knew he was in bed I felt much better and more relaxed. It was nice. Jason and I went out to a nice dinner before the party and then were able to get out and hang out with our friends and family. The next morning we couldn't get to Wahoo fast enough to pick up our baby boy! We missed him soooo much!
The graduates!!! Amber was actually able to bring her gown from Wesleyan to Iowa for the photo op!

Porter crying. Dad was trying to make him give me a tulip for my first Mother's day but Porter wanted nothing to do with it! But Dad made up for it by taking us out to dinner and then getting me my new elliptical this week! I love it and so far have used it everyday. Hopefully this is just what I need to get in shape again.
Chubby cheeks!!
Close-up of chubby cheeks!
Not happy taking his 2-month photo! At his check-up the Dr. said he looks great and is in the 60th percentile for weight, length, and height!
Checking out the tulips with Aunt Amber.
Ok, getting off track here...the nursing strike...so I thought for sure it was because he drank from a bottle so much this weekend and decided that it was much easier than nursing. So I cried yesterday and got all freaked out and searched the Internet where I found that babies may go on nursing strikes. It doesn't happen very often but you just have to be patient and eventually they nurse again. So anyway, we spent a lot of time yesterday working on this and since then he's been nursing like a champ! BUT, then he started spitting up a ton yesterday and today. Like 4-5 times after each feeding which is really weird for a baby that only spits up a few times a day. So I broke down and called the Dr. today and she thinks that Porter has a flu bug. That would explain the nursing strike and spitting up. Since he's not vomiting, doesn't seem dehydrated, and doesn't have a fever I don't have to bring him in. It all seems to make sense and thank god! I was soooo worried that we would be done nursing once I went back to work since he will get bottles all day long. I did read that some babies like bottles better because they can still look around and that sounds like my baby....but I guess we'll just wait and see. I really don't want to go that much longer, but I would like to reach at least the 4 month mark.
Ok enough about that....The graduations went really, really well. It was raining the day of Julia and Brooke's outdoor party but the tent had a heater and sides so it was actually very comfortable. Friday night at the Veterinarian Class dinner Porter started to get fussy at 6:30p so Jason had to leave early to put him to bed. There was a lady at the table that goes "You should just dip his binky in your wine and he'll be fine. I did that with all my kids!" Holy crap! We respectfully declined the offer....but I find it amazing how different generations brought up children. This woman is extremely wealthy and has three very successful children and to think she gave her babies wine. Go figure.
The graduates!!! Amber was actually able to bring her gown from Wesleyan to Iowa for the photo op!
At the Friday night dinner...

Porter crying. Dad was trying to make him give me a tulip for my first Mother's day but Porter wanted nothing to do with it! But Dad made up for it by taking us out to dinner and then getting me my new elliptical this week! I love it and so far have used it everyday. Hopefully this is just what I need to get in shape again.
Chubby cheeks!!
Close-up of chubby cheeks!
Not happy taking his 2-month photo! At his check-up the Dr. said he looks great and is in the 60th percentile for weight, length, and height!
Checking out the tulips with Aunt Amber.

2 Comments:
it was fun to be away, your first night, but still totally NOT ok to be away, huh? Like, you were having fun, but talking and thinking about baby the whole time???
cutest baby ever!!
Post a Comment
<< Home